You know, I’m all for motivational quotes. In fact I love them and I have created a few myself.
However, the thing is when you are down and out and so low, I’m not sure what good they do. I’m not really sure if they bolster you in any way. The last thing you want to see when you are flat on your back, as in I-can’t-get-up-you-need-to-use-a-crane-to-lift-me-up-down, is to see , “mistakes are the proof that you are trying“. I mean what good does that do???? They are just a bunch of words to the one that is down. You might as well say blah, blah, blah, blah, blah and oh yeah, BLAH!
You can overcome. You can be a winner. If you believe it, you can make it. But no one answers the question – how do I keep going when there is a huge gulf between where I am and where I want to be. No one wants to address that gulf. It’s almost like mad men taking over totally disregarding the reality of what they see and constantly placing airy fairy liturgy before you. But we are left with the gulf and and unless your words become a ladder, a bridge or helicopter (depending on how big the gulf is) move on. I mean seriously, move on.
So I’ve created the Big Girl Pants Guide (in honour of Bridget Jones)
- It’s not you, it’s them. Life sucks sometimes. It isn’t necessarily a reflection of who you are. As in you don’t suck. Life does. We’ve just got to ride it out.
- Don’t just sit there, do something. Anything is better than standing still because guess what? Standing still sure ain’t going to get you anywhere.
- Be you. Is that one of those motivational quotes we don’t want to hear now? What I mean by that is keep playing to your strengths. Now is not the time to pretend to be someone else. Keep doing what makes you unique. Opportunity is attracted to authenticity.
- Stop Moaning. Really, just stop. It doesn’t change anything.
- Avoid talking to negative people. We may definitely not want to see another quotation, but you DEFINITELY don’t want to be talking to someone who sees everything as a doomsday advertorial.
- Avoid talking to positive people too. You will only want to throw a book at them or punch them in the face. You are best talking to yourself.
- Wait. You have no choice but to wait for something to change. In the meantime, keep doing the above.
Remember, this too shall pass (I’m ducking)