Have I mentioned previously that I hate, with a capital H, the school run? Well I do! I really HATE the pressure it puts on me to get to the school gate at a certain time. The pressure to get to school on time so I’m not late for work. I hate that it turns me into the Wicked Witch of the West as I try to get my children to be compliant first thing in the morning.
As the new school year is upon us, I thought it would be good for me to revisit some of tips that have helped me alleviate the school run trauma.
- Iron and lay Out everything the night before – laptop, snacks, clothes, shoes and even underwear. The number of times that I have regretted leaving it till the morning is unforgivable. It’s a favour to myself and my kids to ensure we are prepared the night before.
- Wake up and have my shower before my children. If I am ready before them, I feel better prepared to handle their impending slowness in the morning.
- Eat breakfast. It puts my brain in gear and gives me fuel for the day.
- As they are old enough, let them make their own breakfast. If yours don’t know how to, teach them to make something simple!
- Give the children breakfast that can be eaten in the car or on the bus. 🙂 Anything that can be easily packed and taken along with us if we happen to be running late.
- As soon as they are home from school, give them a light snack and then do homework first before anything else.
- On evenings that they have after school activities, make sure dinner is prepped beforehand and simple.
- Don’t forget to check their school bags for notes and homework.
- Eat dinner early.
- Get them to bed early (not a guarantee that they’ll sleep) and remember to wake them up at the same time everyday so their body clock gets used to the routine.
- If you have young kids that share a room, remember to split them up at bedtime otherwise they’ll stay up talking till 11pm.
- Go to bed early. No late nights. Makes me cranky in the morning.